Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 14:38:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Laura nmi Michaels <lauramic@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD

Am trying to get FreeBSD installed on my computer
and am having a problem with the hard drive section
of the installation.

I bought my pentium PC from a company I was working for and
they said they could install Debian Linux on the system
for me.  They installed the base system, but they
couldn't get the boot manager working and I could never
install any new packages or get dpkg to work.  I
spent several days trying to get Linux going properly
and have finally given up.

Was reading the information on FreeBSD at
http://www.freebsd.org and thought perhaps this might
work better than Linux has for me.  The installation
process sounded much simpler.  I got as far as
the disk label editor screen and I got stuck.  Am getting an
error of 'Unable to create the root partition.  Too big?' when
I select the a (auto default) option.  Below is the information
on my hard drive.  I have a 4 Gig drive and was hoping to
install FreeBSD over the Linux sections of the drive.

>From FDISK Partition Editor Screen:

Offset   Size     End      Name   Ptype Desc    Subtype Flags
0        63       62       -      6     unused          0
63       4192902  4192964  wd0s1  2     fat             6
4192965  2056320  6249284  wd0s2  4     extended        5
6249285  176715   6425999  wd0s3  1     linux_swap      130
6426000  2040255  8466254  wd0s4  1     ext2fs          131
8466255  945      8467199  -      6     unused          0

Is there any way to get FreeBSD up and running with this
hard drive without interfering with the programs already on
drive C (first hard drive partition)?  Can anyone walk me
through what changes I need to make to my drive to get this
to work?  The help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Laura Michaels