Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 03:56:56 -0400
From:      Mark <maf112@psu.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.2.5 installation

I have a Walnut Creek 4 CD set containing FreeBSD 2.2.5 and tried to
install it on the following system:
P166-MMX
32 MB RAM
2 HD (800MB and 8 GB, in that order)

The 800 MB HD makes up my C: drive and holds Windows 95.
The 8 GB HD has been split in 4 partitions of 2 GB each (D: E: F: G:)

Due to the nature of my Win 95 installation i found it best to clear
out the F: partition and use it for FreeBSD (other partitions had
Win 95 components on them and I'd rather not have to reinstall them
from another drive...

Anyway I tried installing FreeBSD 2.2.5 (CD) from DOS (selected all software
except where it said '(NOT ON CD-ROM)' and also only picked the video files
proper for my video board (S3 Virge))
A few seconds after hitting 'OK' i get an error saying the installer
can't find X32BIN.TGZ (the version of xwindows on the CD is 3.31 and a file
called X331BIN.TGZ exists so I wonder if that's the file the installer wanted
*shrug*)

Anyway I created a boot disk from the installer menu and booted the PC
from there and attempted this approach to install FreeBSD 2.2.5.

First i entered the visual kernal editor to eliminate all conflicts,
which i successfully achieved after deleting conflicting SCSI and network
card driver (have neither SCSI nor network cards).

I then proceeded to the setup options where i only needed to set medium
to CDROM.

Then i attempted to start installation...
At this point i choose disk 1 (the bigger HD, 8GB big, holding 4 2 GB
partitions) as destination.

However now when the partitioning screen comes up i only see 3 partitions
listed, now i didn't write down what they say exactly but as far as memory
serves the first line listed 164XX as size, unnamed, unused...
the second listed something like 164XXXXXXX as size, named WD1S1, extended,
and the 3rd is rather small again (forgot size), unnamed, unused and has
> set as flags (goes beyond cylinder 1024).

Unfortunately at this point i am completely clueless since i kinda expected
something like 4 partitions to be displayed here all of which of the same
size (I suppose it is possible that FreeBSD doesn't support 8 GB drives or
2 GB partitions *sigh*)...

Anyway, I would appreciate if you could help me with my DOS install problem
since with that way at least i define drive F: as target while the
installation from the FreeBSD boot CD looks rather fishy to me...

After an email this long let me sum up the DOS problem:
HD 1: 800 MB - C:
HD 2: 8 GB - 2 GB D:
           - 2 GB E:
           - 2 GB F:
           - 2 GB G:

After all is setup for installation and F: is defined as destination
drive i get this error: X32BIN.TGZ not found (which aborts installation)

This is FreeBSD 2.2.5 (CD-ROM, 4 CD set), including xwindows 3.31 (i think
installation would have worked if it had xwindows 3.2 ;) )

thanks for your help

Mark
Through the ancient mysts of time,
under the crossways of the stars,