Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 16:55:01 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@calvin.math.vt.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new 2.2.5 installation randomly (and constantly) panics

On Sun, 22 February 1998 at  1:03:53 -0500, matthew c. mead wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 1998 at 12:09:05PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 February 1998 at 20:25:39 -0500, matthew c. mead wrote:
>>> I've got a newly installed 2.2.5 system which was running 2.1.7 up until
>>> this morning that's panic'ing every 10 minutes or so, without indication
>>> as to why.  All of a sudden, the machine reboots.  There's nothing in
>>> the log files, and nothing showing up on the console.  How can I go
>>> about finding out what the problem is and correcting it?  I've enabled
>>> the savecore functionality - how do I go about looking at those files to
>>> figure out what's happening?
>
>> Are you getting core dump files?  If so, check out
>> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook266.html.  This should also be
>> on your system as /usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook266.html if you
>> installed the online handbook.
>
> Ok, I've done that, but my kernel was not built from a config -g, so
> I'll try to get in there and rebuild - hopefully it'll stay up long
> enough...  Here's the output I have for now:
>
> root@goof % cd /sys/compile/GOOF
> root@goof % gdb -k kernel /var/crash/vmcore.0
> GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
>  under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for
> details.
> GDB 4.16 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
> Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...(no debugging symbols found)...
> IdlePTD 1e0000
> current pcb at 1bf010
> panic: general protection fault
> #0  0xf0110313 in boot ()
> (kgdb) where
> #0  0xf0110313 in boot ()
> #1  0xf01105d2 in panic ()
> #2  0xf018b556 in trap_fatal ()
> #3  0xf018ae06 in trap ()
> #4  0xefbffc68 in ?? ()
> #5  0xf017f70f in vm_pager_has_page ()
> #6  0xf0176b51 in vm_fault_additional_pages ()
> #7  0xf0175faf in vm_fault ()
> #8  0xf018afd8 in trap_pfault ()
> #9  0xf018ad1f in trap ()
> #10 0xf0189d34 in fastmove ()
> #11 0xf0189c82 in i586_copyin ()
> #12 0xf0125347 in sosend ()
> #13 0xf0119ef5 in soo_write ()
> #14 0xf0117823 in write ()
> #15 0xf018b7ef in syscall ()
> #16 0x8098391 in ?? ()
> #17 0x359f in ?? ()
> #18 0x8467 in ?? ()
> #19 0x2009 in ?? ()
> #20 0x1095 in ?? ()

Ugh.  A VM problem.  Does this always look the same?  The important
part of this dump are the frames 11 (i586_copyin) to 5
(vm_pager_has_page).  Possibly frames 14 to 12 are also of importance.

>>> Additionally, is there something I might not know about with 2.2.5
>>> that could be causing this?  Help!  Thanks!
>
>> Possibly.  It's impossible to tell without knowing the panic string.
>> Certainly this is the first we've heard of this sudden a change from
>> 2.1.7 to 2.2.5.  Are you sure you haven't changed *anything* in the
>> hardware configuration?  Do you have any unusual hardware connected?
>
> The hardware configuration changed as follows:  a 4G seagate hard drive
> was added to ahc0.
>
> The hardware in the machine is an ISA vga card, a dec 21040 based
> ethernet card, an NCR 8510 PCI scsi card, an Adaptec UltraSCSI 2940,
> and a P90 cpu (clocked to 100 - has been that way for about 2 years
> without problems).

i586_copyin has been introduced since 2.1.7.  I wouldn't put it beyond
the realms of possibility for it to trigger an instability in your
overclocking that so far has gone untriggered.  How easy would it be
to turn the machine back to 90 MHz?  If that doesn't help, it would be
instructive to build a kernel for a 486 and see if that works at
either frequency.  As you might expect, a 486 kernel doesn't use
i586_<mumble>.

Greg