Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 14:52:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Automounter hanging

Hi - I've just started playing with amd and NFS inorder to have unified
source and home directories across my machines.  Most machines are
FreeBSD-2.2-STABLE with fxp cards.  The other machine is FreeBSD-2.1.5
witha crappy old NE2000 thing.

I had problems with NFS mounts from the fast boxes to the one with the
NE2000 card - and changed the mounts over to be TCP mounts instead... and
that fixed that problem.

Then I started using AMD with the following maps:

on /mnt/hosts:

/defaults       type:=host;fs:=${autodir}/${rhost};rhost:=${key}
*               host==${key};type:=linkx;fs=/                \
                host!=${key};opts:=rw,grpid,intr,nodevs,sort,tcp

This way I can access any host including the current host, via
/mnt/hosts/<machine-name>.

The I added this map on /homes:

/defaults	type:=linkx
#
*		host==${key};fs:=/home				\
		host!=${key};fs:=/mnt/hosts/${key}/usr/home

This way /homes/<machine>/<user>  always points to
/mnt/hosts/<machine>/usr/home/<user>.

Anyway - this all works wine on the fast boxes - but on the slow box, amd
seems to hang after about 15 minutes after the first mount it does.  I can
kill all processes using the NFS mounts (which are still live and working
under /a, but hanging under and AMD mount points - /homes and /mnt/hosts)
- I can then unmount the NFS mounts.  But - when I try to kill the
automounter, it just sits there and I have to do a kill -9 to make it go
away.  Problem is that the amd:<pid> mounts are still there - and any
further AMD processes I start just hang right away.

Does anyone have any ideas about this - it's all new ground for me.  And
it's really annoying.  Is there any way to make amd do it's amd:<pid>
mounts (whatever the hell they are) - differently like the normal NFS
mounts?

Thanks a lot for any advice anyone might have about this.

Scot Elliott

Scot Elliott (scot@poptart.org)			|    Work: +44 (0)1344 899401
PGP fingerprint: FCAE9ED3A234FEB59F8C7F9DDD112D |    Home: +44 (0)181 8961019
Public key available by finger at:   finger scot@poptart.org
			    or at:   http://www.poptart.org/pgpkey.html