Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:31:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        <scanner@jurai.net>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: x86-64 Hammer and IA64 Itainium

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:

> I'm not talking about joining the x86-64 project, otherwise I'd be mailing
> them.  I'm talking about FreeBSD using the gcc x86-64 compiler to port
> FreeBSD to x86-64.  I have a copy of the AMD x86-64 spec, mailed to me by
> AMD (also available on their page in PDF), and there's no NDA with it.  It's
> public data.  And the source code for the x86-64/Linux/GNU project is public
> (GPL).  I'm talking about a FreeBSD project to port to x86-64.

I think a port to x86-64 is an excellent idea, but I also think that
you're worrying about it too far in advance.  As you say, the x86-64
project is working on getting gcc ported, which is important chunk of
work.  As such, it's probably best to not worry about a FreeBSD port
until after they're done and have linux up and running on the processors.

Once that's done, it'll probably be a matter to send a clawhammer
system and a large box of cheese and crackers to the guys who did the
freebsd alpha port.  If the architecture is actually so similar to x86,
it should only take them a few weekends. :)

(Alternative options include Matt Dillon splurge-buying a clawhammer
system at CompUSA and doing the port himself... the likelihood of such a
plan seems to hinge on how much free time he has, though.  Maybe send him
cheese, crackers, and a CompUSA ad to help the process along.)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack