Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:24:54 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Darren Henderson <darren@bmv.state.me.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pike & Spontanious reboot or crash

In the last episode (Dec 20), Darren Henderson said:
> Have a 4.7-STABLE system running on a 1.8Ghz P4 with 256MB - works
> wonderfully - make buildworld takes 20 minutes, quite nice.
>
> For some time I've been trying to get a working copy of Pike
> (http://pike.ida.liu.se/) running on this box without much success.
> Whenever I try to make a current version the machine will chug away
> for a few minutes and the system will suddenly reboot or the kernel
> will crash.

If you get a kernel panic, enable crashdumps and post a stack trace.

http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

There's nothing in the regular pike build that should cause any system
problems.  A testsuite run ("make verify") might cause your system to
run out of resources (processes or memory, depending on the test), but
shouldn't panic the system either.

The pikefarm page only has one FreeBSD-4.7 machine building pike-7.4,
and it looks like it's got an m4 problem during the testsuite run, but
it does build.

http://pike.ida.liu.se/development/pikefarm/7.4.xml

--
	Dan Nelson