Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:37:37 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Joao Pedras <jpedras@webvolution.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xpdf port

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 12:46:54PM -0000, Joao Pedras wrote:
> Hello all
>
> When trying to install xpdf from the port (3.4-stable of 11 days ago) it stays
> at "checking whether external symbols need an underscore prefix..."
>
> I waited for some minutes and it just does this. Is it just me ?

No, I used to see this sometimes, although I've not had a problem with
it for a while now (I'm also running 3.4-STABLE).

IIRC what I did was run ./configure manually. For
some reason it seems to work that way - never did find out why :-/.
When I then re-ran make(1) it worked (because the cache file that
configure creates now exists). Weird I know, but if it works then just
do it.

> Thanks
>
> Joao
>
>                                           ^\   /^
>                                             O O
>
> Don't cook tonight -- starve a rat today!

	"there's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture
	that allows you to install Windows too"
				   -Matthew D. Fuller