Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 03:51:05 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "patrick reen" <patrickfreen@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Beginner using FreeBSD

Probably not.  Windows is currently the leading desktop environment and is
generally the best suited for general use by the average user.  If you
really cannot stand Windows, consider the Mac (made by Apple), which has a
similar environment and is at least as easy to use as Windows.  UNIX is a
system intended mostly for technically sophisticated users and is rarely
used on the desktop (it is more often used for servers, such as Web sites
and the like).  Unless you have a strong background in computers and you
enjoy spending lots of time studying how they work and setting them up (as
opposed to simply using them for day-to-day tasks), you are better off with
Windows or the Mac.

Note that you can only run programs intended for Windows on a Windows
system, so if you are running an operating system different from Windows
(UNIX, FreeBSD, Mac), the number of programs you can find and use for your
computer is rather small.  Of all the non-Windows systems, the Mac has by
far the largest selection of programs available.

If you are bound and determined to install UNIX (including FreeBSD, but the
same would be true of Linux and other variants), you can find programs that
handle all of the tasks you list below.  Be careful what you wish for,
however, as it may not be what you expect.