Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:24:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Marko Zec <zec@tel.fer.hr>
Cc:        <net@FreeBSD.ORG>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fxp patch - bundling receive interrupts

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Marko Zec wrote:

> The microcode should work on many revisions - if not all - of
> Intel 8255* chipset, but the BSD driver is currently tested only
> on 82558-B0, so I would really appreciate any feedback on driver
> functionality/stability on other chipset revisions.

Chalk up another 82558B that it works on.  I started using it shortly
after you mentioned this patch a couple of days ago and haven't
experienced any problems.  While doing a large file transfer between
two FreeBSD boxes, performance definately did not suffer.  I got
11MB/sec over FTP.  When communicating with a Windows NT server over
SMB, though, performance was bad (max 1.2MB/sec).  I haven't yet
checked to see if this is because of the interrupt coalescing or if it
is just because Windows sucks.  I did notice a 33% decrease in
interrupts (if about 900 packets came in, about 600 interrupts were
generated), so it definately worked.

If I get real brave I might try it on my router which has mostly
82558B's but also an 82559 or two.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet