Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 1998 12:48:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.net>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Amazing wonder packet sneaks by deny all rule?

>>>>> "Open" == Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net> writes:

Open> It's really late/early this morning and I was just checking the
Open> rule set on a clients machine I just built. When I saw this:

Open> 65534 195 14104 deny log ip from any to any
Open> 65535 1 76 deny ip from any to any

Open> Now maybe it's my lack of sleep but how did that amazing wonder
Open> packet on rule 65535 sneak by 65534 :-) A fluke? A 1 in a
Open> million chance?  A posessed packet? This isn't exactly the kind
Open> of thing that instills confidence in ones choice of firewall
Open> software :-) It's ipfw BTW if you cant tell from the syntax, not
Open> ipfilter.  I have NEVER seen this happen before, so im guessing
Open> it's just a freak accident. But it is curious nonetheless.

Actually, it was likely a packet that occured between the 'ipfw flush'
and the subsequent 'ipfw add 65534' line.  I see this all the time on
our busier firewalls.

Dave.