Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:25:26 +0200
From:      Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Gardner Bell <gardnerbell@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

On Tuesday, April 26, 2011 15:15:45 Gardner Bell wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 4:12 AM, Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, April 26, 2011 01:09:42 Gardner Bell wrote:
> >> Downloading a torrent with many peers on a toshiba satellite notebook
> >> using an Atheros AR5006 wireless nic caused the following panic.  This
> >> is an i386 system running 8.2-STABLE from around April 06.
> >
> > Can you reproduce that?
>
> So far I've not been able to reproduce this.

Ok. I assume this only happens when loosing the connection and trying
to re-associate. At least that is the only possible scenario I can
think of where a timeout for mgmt frames is involved. Probably we
aren't bumping a refcount correctly or something. Actually that sounds
rather plausible as it panics exactly when trying to access ni which
should, for a station, always point to iv_bss, which can in turn be
free'd almost unconditionally if someone's telling net80211 to
associate to another (or even the same) network. Hmm.. tracing refcount
it is.

Were you running wpa_supplicant at that point? Any messages before
the panic happened?

--
Bernhard