Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 12:46:14 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any thought given to...

On Mon, Mar 16, 1998 at 10:44:07AM -0800, Simon Shapiro wrote:

> On 16-Mar-98 Karl Denninger wrote:
> > Making CAM a conditional extract-and-compile thing (ie: an option to
> > "make
> > world")?
> >
> > Is this even reasonable to attempt within the confines of CVS?
>
> Last I checked, CAM still lacked (aside from most SCSI HBA drivers)
> complete support for tapes, CD, CPU, WORM, etc.,

Tapes do in fact work in the default density (which is where most people use
them).  I know 'cause I'm doing it :-)

CDs appear to work, including autochangers (!).  So do removable media
(which is problematic with the existing layer).

There ARE host adapters which are missing - a lot of them.

> Since it is not possible
> to have CAM and existing layers co-exist (Is this correct, Justin?), once
> you switch over, you cannot have a complete, functional system.  This, I
> think, will inhibit what you are asking for.
>
> Simon

That's why I suggested making it a compile-time (or even CVS extract time)
option.  Compile time would be even better, but that's admittedly a PITA;
extract-time might be a lot easier to do.

I agree that its not "prime time" at this point.  But it is a major
improvement in a number of areas over the old drivers, including
performance levels under real load profiles.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV