Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:23:27 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris Casey <chriss@phys.ksu.edu>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ccc

[ freebsd-alpha added as this may be of interest to others ]

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 10:46:59AM -0500, Chris Casey wrote:
> I cleaned everything out, installed the ccc port which worked fine, then
> installed linux_devtools and it cought fire finding the includes etc in
> /compat/linux/. Removing the linux_devtools returns ccc to sanity. If you
> have time can you give me a overview of what the ccc port does to make it
> produce native binaries? I'm a bit tangled up in this mess. Thanks

Mainly I replaced the use of Linux cpp, gas and ld with our own.  The ELF
file format is luckly quite standard and both Linux and FreeBSD follow
the ELF/SVR4 ABI suffiently close that the assembly output from `ccc'
could be fed into our assembler and linker which would DTRT and use
FreeBSD syscalls and ABI.  Beyond that, Drew and I tweaked some headers,
and other minor stuff.

In the compaq-cc port's Makefile, you'll see that I moved the included
AlphaLinux cpp and ld off to the side, and put a symlinks in place to use
the FreeBDS versions of these tools (as was already pointing at
/usr/bin/as).  Since `ccc' is a Linux binary, /compat/linux/{bin,usr/bin}
is searched first, before any FreeBSD paths.  So either `ccc' is somehow
finding the `ld' or `cpp' in the [Linux] path, or there is a another tool
`ccc' uses that I need to replace(symlink) with the FreeBSD version.

BTW, if anyone has time to play with this, I would love for the port to
use PREFIX rather than install into /usr/lib.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)