Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 2021 10:01:11 +0300
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Move the Handbook into source tree

--000000000000d50cf505cb6256c5

Dear All ,

in many of my messages to FreeBSD mailing lists I am mentioning the
following view :

  "Please move the Handbook into source tree , and
   Maintain it with respect to current release without mixing sliding
releases : If you do this ,
   maintenance of a correct Handbook is IMPOSSIBLE because maintenance of
   associated IF statements about releases .
"

When we look at the following web pages , we see the following :

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi
FreeBSD Manual Pages

In the second box of  "All sections" line , there are lines about all of
the FreeBSD releases
with many more other systems .

In spite of this , in the following page :

https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/
FreeBSD Handbook
The FreeBSD Documentation Project

"
Abstract

Welcome to FreeBSD! This handbook covers the installation and day to day
use of
FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE, FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE and FreeBSD 11.4-RELEASE. ...
"

A Handbook which ( for me , exactly , for the others , perhaps  ) with many
errors ...

I think that , it is NOT extraordinarily a difficult process to move the
Handbook into source
tree and maintaining it with respect to per release and insert into the
above web page a part
similar to the manual pages to display the requested Handbook with respect
to releases .
In the present case , previous handbooks are lost , because of the
difficulty of finding them .

Thank you very much and my best wishes for you and humanity in these
pandemic days ...

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk

--000000000000d50cf505cb6256c5--