Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 14:05:01 -0500
From:      "Ron Wingfield" <dtcrtw@ionet.net>
To:        <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Post-installation and Configuration of a Novell NE2000 Plus-3 Ethernet Card

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C1F1E2.59E3F8A0

I want to post-install and configure a Novell NE2000 Plus 3 Ethernet =
card on FreeBSD 4.5.  I can start the FreeBSD Configuration Menu, and =
select the Networking option, which starts the Network Services Menu.  =
From that menu, I select the Interfaces - Configure additional network =
interfaces option, which presents the Network interface information =
required panel.  There are no Ethernet devices in the list.  (I suspect =
that this is because) when I initially installed FreeBSD 4.5, I did not =
have the NE2000 in hand; therefore, I deactivated all Ethernet devices =
(seemed like the thing to do at the time. . .  I had enough trouble =
sorting out the mouse and CDROM problems.)

To what file, table, etc. do I add the Ethernet card description; or =
what utility procedure can be accessed to activate the required device =
entry?  Does this require a kernel rebuild?

This system will function as a proprietary internet web-server, attached =
to a Cayman 3220-H gateway router, capable of IPv4, PPPoE, PPPoA, PPP =
Subnet extension, Ethernet LLC, and other protocols.  It also supports =
local DHCP and NATs.  (What) should I enable regarding PPP in the =
FreeBSD v4.5 environment.  Most of what I read in the MAN pages =
regarding PPP discuss dial-up connections and hardwired Ethernet =
connections.  I don't find any discussion of ADSL services.  Any =
suggestions?=20

Thanks,
Ron W.

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C1F1E2.59E3F8A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I want to post-install and configure a=20
<STRONG>Novell NE2000 Plus 3</STRONG> Ethernet card on FreeBSD =
4.5.&nbsp; I can=20
start the <STRONG><EM>FreeBSD Configuration Menu</EM></STRONG>, and =
select the=20
<STRONG><EM>Networking </EM></STRONG>option, which starts the=20
<STRONG><EM>Network Services Menu</EM></STRONG>.&nbsp; From that menu, I =
select=20
the <STRONG><EM>Interfaces - Configure additional network interfaces=20
</EM></STRONG>option, which presents the <STRONG><EM>Network interface=20
information required </EM></STRONG>panel.&nbsp; There are no Ethernet =
devices in=20
the list.&nbsp; (I suspect that this is because) when I initially =
installed=20
FreeBSD 4.5, I did not have the NE2000 in hand; therefore, I deactivated =
all=20
Ethernet devices (seemed like the thing to do at the time. . .&nbsp; =
<FONT=20
size=3D1>I had enough trouble sorting out the mouse and CDROM=20
problems.</FONT>)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To what file, table, etc. do I add the =
Ethernet=20
card description; or what utility procedure can be accessed to activate =
the=20
required device entry?&nbsp; Does this require a kernel =
rebuild?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This system will function as a proprietary internet web-server, =
attached to=20
a <STRONG><EM>Cayman 3220-H </EM>gateway router</STRONG>, capable of =
IPv4,=20
PPPoE, PPPoA, PPP Subnet extension, Ethernet LLC, and other =
protocols.&nbsp; It=20
also supports local DHCP and NATs.&nbsp; (What) should I enable =
regarding PPP in=20
the FreeBSD v4.5 environment.&nbsp; Most of what I read in the MAN pages =

regarding PPP discuss dial-up connections and hardwired Ethernet=20
connections.&nbsp; I don't find any discussion of ADSL services.&nbsp; =
Any=20
suggestions? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ron =
W.</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C1F1E2.59E3F8A0--