Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 1995 20:55:01 +0100 (MET)
From:      Didier Derny <didier@aida.org>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: direct acces to the text screen memory

On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Didier Derny wrote:
> >
> > ... but when the Commodore scroll the screen
> > the entire screen update becomes very slow since it rewrite the entire
> > screen.
>
> Why don't you scroll the screen then?
>
> > How can I map the text screen ?
>
> mmap(2).  But only for the vty's.  You lose on xterms and serial
> terminals.  I guess at most 10 % of all applications run on vty's, so
> you can estimate the usage degree of your intented emulation.
>
> --
> cheers, J"org
>
> joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

Hi

In the firsts steps I dont want to interfere with the 6502 code.
I'sure it is possible to trap the scroll code in the Commodore eprom
and to use curses to implement the scroll but some programs will perform
the scroll by themselves without any call to the scroll routine.

In the finale version I will have:

- a 32 bit dos version that directly write in the screen memory.
- a windows 95 version
- an X11 version for FreeBSD/XFree
- a text version for FreeBSD
- Perhaps OS/2

I dont know how to use mmap to map the screen text.

--
Didier Derny
didier@aida.org