Date:      10 May 2002 13:00:44 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        knu@freebsd.org
Subject:   portupgrade anything causes infinite fork loop

I know that I won't figure this out until the second after I press
"Send," so I might as well start the email ;-).

I have been using portupgrade fine forever up until today.  I have a
laptop running 4.6-PRE from yesterday with the latest portupgrade.
Today I cvsup'd my ports and went to do a portupgrade of gettext, as
soon as I did that, portupgrade hung at

--->  Upgrading 'gettext-0.11.1_2' to 'gettext-0.11.1_3' (devel/gettext)
--->  Building '/usr/ports/devel/gettext'

After a while, I received a "resource unavailable: fork()" message, and
my load average was over 700 (I've never seen a load average that
high).  This happens for anything I try to portupgrade.  What I did to
try and fix this is reinstall portupgrade, start with a fresh
pkgtools.conf, and reinitialized my pkgdb.db.  Nothing worked.

I can build new ports just fine using the old make install.  I ran
portupgrade with -v, but it wasn't very insightful.

As far as I know, nothing changed between yesterday and today that would
cause this.  I checked CVS for the recent ports infrastructure changes,
but I don't think that's causing the problem.

I'm simply running portupgrade gettext, but all ports fail in the same
manner.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Joe

--