Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2019 08:56:17 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jedi Tek'Unum" <jedi@jeditekunum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Options for FBSD support with LCD device - new project
References:  <ad61a598-53af-02a5-41db-0128da7d1a34@optiplex-networks.com> <CAF19XBLAjP4yKtGSBzA4QdT346Bnbnr8MutQNZgmERLbJkWAyA@mail.gmail.com> <8df902f6-20a3-31c4-71ac-91f5d5fdf50d@optiplex-networks.com> <0ecf23e129ca7ac6a92a01bbb34c03f1ac8c6dc8.camel@freebsd.org> <e5d42c67-e1f2-ede1-965f-c89226de46da@optiplex-networks.com> <89f5b8d1ab0614ac8d88b5d5f1afc63e640c3c17.camel@freebsd.org> <4EB5C6C1-7DB9-4DEE-BB23-CD1259581271@jeditekunum.com> <004ddba628b94b80845d8e509ddcb648d21fd6c9.camel@freebsd.org> <C68D7E6E-03C1-448F-8638-8BD1717DBF44@jeditekunum.com> <ac7d434f16f3a89f5ef247678d6becdbeded5c3f.camel@freebsd.org> <CE40E2B5-2244-4EF9-B67F-34A54D71E2E8@jeditekunum.com>

On Tue, 2019-03-19 at 09:26 -0500, Jedi Tek'Unum wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2019, at 2:57 PM, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2019-03-18 at 14:51 -0500, Jedi Tek'Unum wrote:
> > > My impression wasn’t that support wasn’t there - but “out of the
> > > box”
> > > configuration wasn’t there. In comparison, I didn’t have to do
> > > anything to get I2C enabled in the binary distribution of Linux
> > > that
> > > comes through the manufacturer.
> > >
> > > Its the enabling part that isn’t obvious to most people IMO.
> > >
> > > Documentation/wiki is great. But even better would be all the
> > > enabling overlays already in place and the entries in loader.conf
> > > already there and commented out. It would be so much easier to go
> > > a “common place” (loader.conf), skim through the notes, find the
> > > thing that one wants, and then just uncomment the referenced
> > > line!
> > > (Or any other similarly easy method.)
> > >

> > > For FBSD to get a better foothold in this space it needs to be
> > > better
> > > documented. For example, the wiki for NEO2 <
> > > http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_NEO2>; is a
> > > step-by-
> > > step guide for how to acquire and configure Linux for it.
> > >

> > On one of my imx6 boards I have 5 SPI devices.  Each device can use
> > 3
> > or 4 different sets of pins for clock, data-in, and data-
> > out.  Plus,
> > each can use literally any number of whatever gpio pins they want
> > as
> > chip selects.  Even limiting the chipsels to a handfull, there
> > would
> > literally be thousands of possible combinations of devices and pin
> > configurations, each one needing to be a separate overlay.
> >
> > Maybe you have experience primarily with rpi or some similarly
> > crippled
> > devices that only offer one or two choices?
>
> If memory serves correctly, there are only 2 I2C devices on the H3/H5
> and the NanoPi NEO/2 implementations only externalize 1. There is
> only 1 SPI AFAIK.
>
> I wouldn’t call that crippled. I chose this platform exactly because
> of its characteristics - small, fast, cheap. It fits the project I’m
> using it for perfectly. In fact, I can see uses for even smaller (see
> Giant Board <https://groboards.com/giant-board/>). I understand other
> projects may have different requirements and would drive one towards
> different solutions - and require more of the various interfaces. But
> they aren’t going to be typical of hobbyist projects.
>
> Maybe I should pose the question in another way. What is the
> philosophy for choosing GPIO as default for all the pins? These
> boards have a very limited number of pins and my preference would be
> that the broadest range of interface types would be the default.
> There are 2 UARTs exposed so I would have picked 1 to be enabled by
> default. After that, with I2C and SPI enabled, there are still 6 GPIO
> [...]

The default pin assignments in the dts are completely controlled by
linux, and I think effectively by the actual board vendors who create
the dts and submit it to linux.  We (freebsd) are just a consumer of
the dts info, we have to work with whatever they shove down our
throats, and continually re-adapt ourselves whenever they change their
minds and make arbitrary incompatible changes from one release to the
next (which they definitely do).

-- Ian