Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 17:14:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Axel Thimm <thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        Axel.Thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de (Axel Thimm), stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sysinstall (was Re: Upgrading /stand)

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> > The /stand directory that I have (created after a fresh install
> > of FreeBSD 2.2.1 about a year ago) has 19 hard links to the same file.
>
> Right, and only one of them (sysinstall) is really necessary for
> post-installation configuration.  [...]

As I understand /stand is considered as "install time only"
directory. But sysinstall should be an administration tool also, just like
e.g. adduser.

Couldn't sysinstall have two modes of being build and installed?
1) like it is now (crunched with the other executables in to /stand) with
`make release'
2) ... and a stand alone version (only the sysinstall executable), which
installs under /usr/sbin/sysinstall (with bin distribution and `make
world'). The help files should probably go under /usr/share/sysinstall

This would prevent -stable and -current users from "forgetting" to keep
sysinstall up to date. In the long run, I'd propose to even automaticaly
remove /stand after installation (i.e. to consider /stand as a temporary
fast-to-read-off floppy image).

Regards, Axel.
--
Axel Thimm   Axel.Thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de Axel.Thimm@ifh.de