Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 22:56:54 +0930 (CST)
From:      Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>
To:        freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        scott@computeralt.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help me win the MS-Proxy/ipfw war

Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

   [ outside consultancy ]
 > It may even end up convincing the PHB that FreeBSD/ipfw is what should
 > be preached to customers, and forgo the revenue generating stream that
 > NT/MS-Proxy service calls brings them in favor of not having to worry
 > about a law suite when the damn thing doesn't due the job and some customer
 > decides it was your companies fault.

Well, yeah.  I'm often left wondering why companies that sell IT services
don't use open-source solutions for things like firewalls.

Consider what happens when you install an MS-based firewall solution:
You quote a price which is twice as high as it should be to install
software which won't work (and which will thereby give you a bad reputation),
and most of the revenue you get from doing the work will go back to
MS in license fees for the exorbitantly expensive software you end up
installing to do the job.

On the other hand, you can install a FreeBSD box with ipfilter/ipfw,
charge half the amount, spend half the time setting it up, never worry
about whether it's going to spontaneously stop working, and keep all
of the cash for yourself.

I'm astonished that this stuff isn't obvious to MSCE types;  Then
again, if they were of the kind of mindset that found things like this
obvious they wouldn't have set out to get MSCE status in the first
place...

   - mark