Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 18:12:07 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why is tcl in base distribution

> I agree with this Very Smart Idea. Tcl belongs in the ports collection.
> Period.

If you resurrect this flame war 2 weeks before Christmas, Steve,
I shall personally fly out to wherever you live and kill you. :-)

Believe me, this has been discussed to *death* (Satoshi wasn't kidding
when he said there was a 1.6MB archive of mail available if anyone
wanted to read it) and all we proved was that it was an issue which
cost far more time and effort to *discuss* than it did to simply live
with for now and see how the situation develops further.  Resurrecting
this discussion would be a total waste of time which we especially
don't need right now, holiday obligations already seriously cutting
into what's available.

All of us are also painfully aware of the vaporware status of the
freebsd admin tools and it's been a long-standing thorn in the side
for several of us.  I first tried to do this work alone and, not
surprisingly, it didn't happen.  Then I called for volunteers on it
(where were you, Steve? :) and, not surprisingly, that didn't work
either.  My final attempt has been to try and hire someone to do the
job full-time and, given the grace of god and the U.S. Immigration
authorities, we'll soon see whether that works or not. :-)

In any case, I strongly recommend that we stay the course with the
"live with it for now and see how things progress" conclusion we
reached before.  If our latest attempts at jump-starting the admin
tools project fail, I'll be first in line to campaign for TCL's
removal and the complete retirement of the whole admin tools concept
idea, pointing you at sysinstall and saying "there, that's it. That's
all you get.  If you want more, write it yourself and don't bother me
about it!" :-)

					Jordan