Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 18:25:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>
To:        suleyman@echonyc.com (Ken Seggerman)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: naming my machine & deleting the old FreeBSD partition

I don't really understand what you're asking.  If want to change the
hostname, you could edit /etc/rc.conf, or use the hostname command.  You
should use /etc/rc.conf.  If just gives that vaule to hostname when you
boot.

BTW, people may not agree with me, but I think there is absolutely no need
for /stand/*.  That is the _last_ place you should look.

> I put in the new hard drive. Thank you all for your help.
>
> I intalled Windows NT and FreeBSD 2.2.5 on the new drive, and still have
> 2.2.2 and Windows95 on the first hard drive.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> Where do I name my machine? I may have had a chance to do so in the
> sysinstall. Is there some way I can do it from the command-line?
> I tried running the make-hostname script in /etc/namedb but I didn't have
> permission to do so. I figured that if root can't do it, it's meant to be
> done some other way.
>
> Once I have 2.2.5 configured well enough, I won't need the .5 gb of hard
> drive space that 2.2.2 is now occupying. I would like to give the space
> back to Windows95.
>
> I could delete the partition with fdisk, either from DOS or
> /stand/sysinstall (couldn't I?).
>
> Is there any way I could give the space back to my C: drive without
> backing up the C: drive, deleting the C: drive's partition, re-creating it
> at the new size and re-installing everything?.
>
> This is the reverse of the situation described by Antoine BEAUPRE
> yesterday.
>
> I am hoping that the soluction might be simpler than it would be going the
> other way.

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
Micro$oft Sucks!  FreeBSD Rules!  http://www.freebsd.org/

Finger dima@zwb.net for more information.