Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 07:55:07 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, John Purser <johnmpurser@home.com>, "'freebsd-chat'" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: costs for solaris vs windows

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 09:58:50PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Will Andrews wrote:
>
> > I don't care about comparisons between Windows something and some
> > commercial Unix. I would only care if they were making valid
> > comparisons between SomeOS and FreeBSD. And if they actually
> > published details.
>
> Well, i just think most people won't be that discerning when they read
> reports that Windows is cheaper to run than Unix.  To most people,
> Unix is Unix.  It is tough enough explaining that Linux is not Unix,
> let alone FreeBSD.  Of course, we really *are* unix.  ;-)

I only recently remember someone on a Greek Linux mailing list supporting that
"well, since Linux is Unix is shares the history of Unix, and it's not to be
considered as something new".

After trying to explain to thim that learning from the history of others does
not mean that you actually /have/ the same history with them, what's more you
don't just go around claiming that you have /their/ history.

This is the kind of folk that I started seeing attracted to linux, and it
scares me... but this ain't a Linux list, so who the bloody hell cares.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"Don't let your schooling interfere with your education." [Mark Twain]