Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:07:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      mark@type49.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/25656: New FAQ entry for 'toor' account (PATCH)

>Number:         25656
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       New FAQ entry for 'toor' account (PATCH)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

FreeBSD type49.com 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Tue Feb 13 13:43:54 GMT 2001     root@type49.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

New FAQ entry to answer "what's this 'toor' account?"

>How-To-Repeat:

Read -questions.

>Fix:

*** /usr/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/faq/book.sgml       Thu Mar  8 11:01:25 2001
--- book.sgml   Sat Mar 10 15:35:17 2001
***************
*** 6263,6268 ****
--- 6263,6297 ----
        </qandaentry>

        <qandaentry>
+         <question id="toor-account">
+           <para>What's this UID 0 'toor' account? Have I been compromised?</para>
+         </question>
+
+         <answer>
+           <para>Don't worry. toor is an 'alternative' root account
+             (toor is root spelt backwards). Previously it was created
+             when the bash shell was installed but recently it has been
+             created by default. It was installed with bash so you
+             could use the bash shell as a root user, without changing
+             the real root user's default shell. This is important as
+             bash would likely be installed in <filename>/usr/local/bin
+             </filename> which, by default, resides on a different disk
+             partition. If root's shell is set to <filename>
+             is unmountable for some reason, root won't be able to log in
+             to fix the problem (although if you reboot into single user
+             mode you'll be prompted for the path to a shell).</para>
+           <para>
+             Some people use toor for day-to-day root tasks with the bash
+             shell, leaving root (with /bin/csh or /bin/sh) for single
+             user mode or emergencies. By default you can't log in using
+             toor as it doesn't have a password, so log in as root and
+             then log out and try logging in as toor.</para>
+         </answer>
+       </qandaentry>
+
+       <qandaentry>
          <question id="forgot-root-pw">
            <para>Eek! I forgot the root password!</para>
          </question><answer>