Date:      Sun, 08 Jul 2001 18:06:20 -0500
From:      Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, Munish Chopra <chopra@runbox.com>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XFS (was: ReiserFS (was: JFS (was: The FreeBSD core team needs your help)))a

Juha Saarinen wrote:

>On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Dave Uhring wrote:
>
>>But SGI has released XFS under the GPL.  Sun, et al, can hardly "leech"
>>their IP due to the provisions of the GPL.
>>

>But under the BSD license, they can. At least that's what I was told, but
>I'm not the right person to ask about this.

I seem to have made an improper assumption earlier regarding
www.sistina.com and apologize to all.  Even though the Arial font is
indeed available universally, it is not generally available on a
Linux/Unix platform.  And I wrongly assumed that that site was using
Microsoft IIS for its web server; it is not.  It is using  Debian
GNU/Linux and Apache 1.3.20.

Juha, if I understand the GPL correctly, and I am not a lawyer, there is
no way that a GPL product can be converted to a BSD license.  The other
way around, yes.  GNU source code is kept separate in the FreeBSD source
tree partially to isolate it from the BSD licensed code.  And the source
code for modified GNU code is always made available publicly.  Yet the
GNU code retains its own license without having been "corrupted", if you
will, by the BSD license.