Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 19:28:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, staff@kyklopen.ping.dk, ugen@latte.worldbank.org, current@FreeBSD.org, bugs@ns1.win.net
Subject:   Re: 2.2 looking up

> >> No. It is even worse than before. After a while the entire system
> >> begins to core dump. None of the staticly linked files seems to
> >> generate sig 11.
> >
> >Copy on write on mmap()'ed files broken?
>
>    No, it has nothing to do with that. There isn't any difference between
> shared (dynamic) programs and non-shared (static) programs in terms of how
> they are mapped or how copy-on-write works.

crt0.o on my box mmap's the shared libraries into the program address
space as the first operation, whereas the unshared crt0.o doesn't have
that or the extra code for implementing dlopen().

Definite difference between shared and unshared programs.

Perhaps ctr0.o has changed for apps linked shared?  Or perhaps it hasn't?

>    The problem is that something is wrong with paging - wrong pages are ending
> up in the VM object.
>    Please try to be patient; the problem will be fixed shortly.

No problem for me, anyway.  Just airing a theory.

It still sounds like a change in mmap() behaviour.  Perhaps auto-placement
of the region has failed, or some similar problem is showing up.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.