Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:04:26 +0000
From:      Vijay <vijay.s.anand@usa.net>
To:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Crackling noises while playing music.

  OS: FreeBSd 4.2-STABLE
CPU AMD Athlon
Sound Card: SB LIVE !

Problem:

I hear crackling noises while playing sound of any form (Be it wavs,
mp3s, mpgs ) while having the device pcm line on my kernel. Seems like
setting the option "volume controls master not pcm" in the config of
xmms helped reduce the frequency of the cracklings, still it wasnt
perfect. But it didnt contribute anything to fix the problem in any
other app like amp or whatever.

Taking out the support for the hardware from the kernel ( removing
device pcm from the kernel config ) and installing opensound fixed the
problem perfectly.

A friend of mine having an athlon processor too has the same problem.  I
beleive it has something to do with the 3DNOW ! Multimedia feautures of
the CPU. If anyone had come accross any fixes for it or have any
suggestions, please feel free to convey. I also request the freebsd
development team ( if they come across this email ) to help fix this
problem if it IS something which can be / should be done in the base
source code.

Thank You

Vijay
(Vijay@metaiq.com)