Date:      Sat, 3 Sep 2005 13:21:49 -0700
From:      Eric Buchanan <freebsd@usol.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to mount OpenBSD slices under 5.x?

--nextPart1787977.LRmHHz3oaL

Hello All,
I have 5-Stable and 4-Stable both on my desktop. On 4.x, I can easily mount=
=20
OpenBSD slices with no hassle at all. How do I do this on 5.x? devfs doesn'=
t=20
create the slices (ad6s3a and ad6s3e) but I can symlink /dev/ad6s3=20
to /dev/ad6s3a and mount the slice that way, with no problems. That won't=20
work for ad6s3e, in fact, doing so mounts ad6s3a! Any ideas? I'd like to=20
mount both from FreeBSD 5.x, since that is what I mainly use.  I do this to=
=20
copy my own files from one operating system to another, and for backups.

Can I use mknod to make ad6s3e? I've tried, but to no avail.

I created the OpenBSD slices and partitions by turning an unused FreeBSD=20
partition into an OpenBSD one around the time of FreeBSD 4.3, and noticed t=
he=20
slices were mountable under 4.x with no problems at all. If worst comes to=
=20
worst, I'll just boot FreeBSD 4.x to mount OpenBSD from FreeBSD.

TIA,
Eric Buchanan