Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:12:26 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        husyh@hush.com
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ath0: unable to attach hardware

Hi,

Thanks for this. Can you grab teh same information from Linux somehow?
I'd like to see what address space the ath NIC is allocated.

Thanks,

Adrian

On 31 October 2012 16:33,  <husyh@hush.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had a look at the PCI card. It looks like the manufacturer/OEM is "Anat=
el". The following two strings are printed on the board:
> WN5301A-H1-V02
> KN160562*7
>
> There's a sticker on the card as well, showing
> HP P/N: 5188-3742
> Vendor P/N: WN5301A-H1
>
> I tried to search for these strings to see whether I could get more infor=
mation about the chips used, but I didn't find anything that looked helpful=
 to me (but I don't know much about wireless hardware.)

> I tried to do a verbose boot of my 9.0-RELEASE amd64 install by adding th=
e lines
> boot_verbose=3D"YES"
> kern.msgbufsize=3D"655360"
> to /boot/loader.conf - the latter line because it seemed like /var/run/dm=
esg.boot and the output of the dmesg program were incomplete, but even with=
 this line, I assume the output still does not contain the whole boot proce=
ss.

> Also, I booted the 8.3-RELEASE i386 DVD, selected verbose boot, and once =
the installed showed up, started a shell, saw that ath0 still was not attac=
hed properly, and saved the output of dmesg (I hope this is what you wanted=
 when you told be to use a live CD. If not, please give me more detailed in=
structions.) Booting 7.4-RELEASE i386 repeatedly results in a kernel segfau=
lt. If you want, I can try other versions and/or install FreeBSD instead of=
 just working from the fixit shell, or try to re-download and burn 7.4-RELE=
ASE i386.

> I attached the two dmesg outputs to this mail, since they are rather larg=
e and I assume people don't want that lengthy e-mails on the mailing list (=
please let me know if I'm wrong.) Additionally, in case the attachments get=
 stripped, they are accessible via the following URLs: