Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:04:03 +0100
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Nicholas Riley <njriley@uiuc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS install writability on Netra t1 105

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 07:32:46PM -0600, Nicholas Riley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE on a Netra t1 105 over the
> network (the machine has no CD-ROM).  I've set up RARP, TFTP, DHCP and
> NFS servers, and get to the point that FreeBSD is booting from the
> NFS-mounted installation CD.  The NFS server is Mac OS X Server 10.4.3.

<...>

> Tue Jan  3 01:21:48 UTC 2006
> ?Jan  3 01:21:49
> FreeBSD/sparc64 (Amnesiac) (ttyu0)
>
> login: Jan  3 01:21:49  getty[397]: open /dev/ttyv2: No such file or directory
>
> At this point I tried logging in as root and running sysinstall, which
> barfs trying to write various files or access the network.
>
> I imagine I'm doing something wrong, but I can't see what.  Any advice
> would be appreciated.

Sysinstall(8) doesn't work for installing FreeBSD on a hard disk
when it's not used in place of init(8). AFAIK that's a MI "feature"
of sysinstall(8). I'm not sure whether it'll work if you copy
/stand/sysinstall to /sbin/init in the NFS-root. What should work
for doing a netbooted install however is either extract the
El Torito boot image from the ISO image and netboot the former
or netboot your existing setup, label the hard disk using
sunlabel(8), write the miniroot.ufs from the FTP install bits to
the swap-partition of the hard disk using dd(1) and then boot the
machine from the swap-partition.

Marius

--
This mail was scanned by AntiVir Milter.
This product is licensed for non-commercial use.