Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 97 15:11:28
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Chat List" <chat@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "doc@FreeBSD.ORG" <doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD documentation (was: OS/2 users going to FreeBSD?)

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 13:28:51 -0500 (EST), John Fieber wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>I'll see what I can do to documenting and streamline the
>submission policy.

I think a template SGML document and a documented sample would go a
long way. Last time I tried I remember I downloaded some of the
existing SGML and could not make much sense of them.

>The best info at the moment is http://www.freebsd.org/docproj.html, but it isn't very prominent
>and could use a lot more "how to" information.

The page is actually not bad at all, but I am wondering if there
shouldn't be more prominence on the pages that direct users on how to
help the project. I am sure that somewhere in the FAQ and Handbook it
points out to that docproj page, but why not have right there in the
main "www.freebsd.org". How about a page with links on how to help:
the  "How to Help the FreeBSD project page". This page could simply
be links to sections of the FAQ and Handbook.

>It may be better to de-emphasize issues of document format. If
>the *content* is good, I really don't care what the format
>is--SGML tagging is fairly mindless work.

True, but it still takes time (your time or someone's elses time). I
still think that a documented SGML template can go a long way.

>Unfortunatly, good programming skill and good technical writing skill seem to be
>mutually exclusive in practice.

I am sure there are many people like myself, who are neither great at
either, but are willing to improve at both. It is taking me a long
time to get truly familiar with FreeBSD, but little by little I find
myself doing a little more every day on it. I am even thinking of
trying to use it for all my Internet needs (currently using OS/2 for
that).

>The FreeBSD crowd tends to have a lot more programmers than writers.

This is going back to the "Desktop vs Server" issue. If FreeBSD is
mostly used as a server then the people who use it will be mostly
technical. If we can get it to be a bit easier to use then we may get
many more people to use it as a desktop and THOSE are the people who
may help us with the writing.