Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:45:21 -0400
From:      Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't become root..

Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

> Hello Sam,
>
> Friday, July 28, 2000, 5:05:31 PM, you wrote:
> > By any chance do you have sshd running on the machine?  You can ssh in as root.
>
> In standard configuration you can't login as root not even through
> sshd. IIRC one would have to set the pty's as safe in order to allow
> remote root logins...

True and False...

The example:  I am using machine A and sshing into the FreeBSD machine.

When I am logged into A as a normal user, and I try 'ssh -l root freebsd', I am not
allowed in.  BUT  When I root on machine A, I am able to do a 'ssh freebsd' and get
in as root.  Granted, I am not using the default ssh, I compiled/installed it myself
on the FreeBSD machine.

--
Sam Carleton
Please stop by http://www.maineville.net and