Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:06:49 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        darryl@osborne-ind.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network question.

Darryl Hoar wrote:

> I am running Freebsd 3.2-release.  I am using this
> machine as a gateway to the internet for my LAN.
> I am looking at tightening up security and exploring
> ipfilter.
>
> I purchased the book "Building Internet Firewalls" 2nd
> edition by Zwicky, Coopedr & Chapman.
>
> The notation 192.168.8.0/22 is used.  How do you
> interpret this ?  what does the last 0/22 mean ?
>
> thanks,
>
> Darryl

	A /22 network refers to a group of 1024 IP addresses which can directly
access any other IP address within it's own range. (that's the short
answer -want a longer explanation read on).
	TCP/IP is routed between subnets, the /xx, is the subnets deligation.
For example, a /24 subnet refers to 255.255.255.0 (254 usable IP
addresses). Calculations can be done is this manner to find out how many
IP's are available; I use a /24 network as a starting point, you could
go less. One /19 equals 32 /24s, and /16 equals 256 /24s; for every
decremented number of the subnet /xx, you increase by the power of two.
For example, if you start with a /24 (Class 'C' bank 255IP addresses
netmask 255.255.255.0):
/24 = 1 (256 ips)
/23 = 2 (512 ips)
/22 = 4 (1024 ips)
/21 = 8 (2048 ips)
/20 = 16 (4096 ips)
/19 = 32 (8192 ips)
/18 = 64 (16384 ips)
/17 = 128 (32768 ips)
/16 = 256 (65536 ips)
/15 = 512 (131072 ips)
etc...
	Routing is controlled through the use of subnets. Every IP address has
a subnet mask; if that subnet mask does not match with that of another
IP address, then the two addresses cannot directly see each other. For
example, if you had a machine on the address 192.168.1.1, with a subnet
mask of 255.255.255.0 (/24); that machine would be able to directly
connect to all addresses between 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.254. In order
for that machine to connect to a different IP address, eg: 10.0.0.1;
there must be a route for it.
	By giving a machine two IP addresses an corrosponding netmasks, we can
allow it to route packets from one interface to the other. This routing
now creates a gateway for machines on one network to be able to access
those on another.
	If you run a 'traceroute whatever.com', you can view a list of all the
routes you must go through to get to the destination address. You may
want to try and read up a bit on BGP if your looking at doing any really
serious routing. If you're looking to just do a simple firewall to
access the internet with, I'd suggest you try reading a few of the
tutorials available out there, (try www.defcon1.org, freebsd.peon.net,
etc).

--
Nathan Vidican