Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 1996 21:51:50 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Rudy Gireyev <RGIREYEV@bellind.com>
Cc:        "'hackers@FreeBSD.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Becoming a Developer.

> My name is Rudy Gireyev and my address is rgireyev@bellind.com. Working
> on the development of an operating system has always made me drool, so I

Strange, us too!  In fact, after 3 years of doing this, some of us now
drool all the time - we can't help it!  Our doctors keep using terms
like "incurable brain damage" and "suggested euthanasia" but I think
they're just jealous that they don't have an OS project of their own
to hack on.  Professional jealousy, sheesh!

No, seriously, of course I'm just kidding and we're always more than
happy to have OS hackers join us.  We've far more work than we have
people!

> am exceedingly curious whether I can contribute my services to this
> wonderful effort. Please let me know what the requirements are from my
> end, hardware, software, books, experience and others. Any and all
> questions are welcome I am not easily offended.

Your services would indeed be welcomed.  As to requirements, I'd say
you've already got the major one covered, and that's motivation.
Everything else can and will be learned along the way.

The first step is simply to get ahold of the source tree, one way or
another (see the http://www.freebsd.org/submitters.html and
http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for more related info on this) and
then start learning how the build system works.  This will be a major
first step in your education, followed by a more in-depth study of
whatever topic it is that most interests you.

Reading the referenced docs will also give you a good idea of how we
work and process submissions.  Any further questions, please don't
hesitate to ask!

						Jordan