Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 1995 06:27:51 -0800
From:      jmacd@uclink.berkeley.edu (Joshua Peck Macdonald)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   no ptys???

I built a new kernel today and built -current, everytying went well,
except when I was done I tried running X, and got the following error,
when I tried to open a shell,

xterm: no available ptys

similarly, when I try to open an emacs-shell, it says

Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
Thus no job control in this shell.

All that I did to get this was compile a new kernel.  What could have
happened?  I got this error after the kernel, before I built -current
but it persists.  Any ideas?  I'm sure its something dumb.

-josh