Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:37:21 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Umax C600 (6400)

> Well, that'd explain a bunch.  So I 'spose the next question would
> be if the NetBSD loader can fire up a FreeBSD kernel.  I've used
> NetBSD's dosboot dos kernel loader before with FreeBSD, what are the
> odds it'll work on PPC as well?

  I just gave it a try on my eMac. The first problem is that NetBSD
passes the command line arg in the parameter that FreeBSD expects
the loader metadata to live. There's no real error checking on this,
so it results in a crash very early on in the boot.

  I disabled this test, and it managed to get a bit further in the
boot before crashing with an invalid instruction exception. This is
most likely a symptom of the NetBSD loader not doing an icache sync
somewhere along the line. That mightn't be too hard to locate.

later,

Peter.