Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:32:16 +0000
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Modest Proposal for Java(tm) dependency selection among ports

Sorry to jump in after the fact ,but I wondered if there
was a specific problem with JAVA_VER

- this would tie in nicely with things like

XFREE86_VERSION and OS_VERSION, etc,
and could be compared against in the same way that
many ports use OS_VERSION (i.e. numerically > )

In any case, I think make.conf would be suitable to hold
relevant variables (once we decide what they are).

If an app needs a specific version of a JRE/JDK surely it can
just have a RUN_DEPENDS clause that points to an absolute path

e.g. (syntax may be wrong but you get the idea)

RUN_DEPENDS= ${LOCALBASE}/linux-jdk1.3.1/bin/java:${PORTDIR}/java/linux-jdk1.3.1

Although I've no idea how to handle an app that runs on multiple JVMS;
perhaps we should check each in order of preference, and use the first
that fits?

Also most ports seem to use JAVADIR or JAVA_HOME -
the two seem fairly interchangable so perhaps they could be merged in here
as well??

A lot of ports seem to use dependencies specific to whoever
wrote the port, so this is a mess worth fixing - roll on bsd.java.mk :)

--
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
		-- Samuel Goldwyn