Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 00:00:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Pierre Beyssac <pb@fasterix.freenix.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, core@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INRIA IPv6 on FreeBSD

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Pierre Beyssac wrote:
> The WIDE approach, from what I understand, is to provide new tools
> for a lot (not all: some are integrated too) of these. They have
> a separate inet6d for IPv6 daemons, for example. I think (but I
> can be wrong) it only exists for FreeBSD.

The inet6d code appears no different than the code currently in -current.
I may be missing something but I don't think WIDE requires a different
inetd.  Either way that is an asthetic issue that is solveable.

> The WIDE approach is probably better in the short term (less
> integration headaches). The INRIA stuff, IMHO, is the way to go in
> the long run (the ease of use of a common inetd is good illustration
> of this). The INRIA stuff is apparently (as I said above, I'm not
> aware of any ports of the WIDE stuff but it can be just ignorance)
> available on more systems and more architectures (NetBSD) so they
> have an advantage on portability.

I've not seen any code in WIDE that appeared to be 'FreeBSD' centric (in
the sense that porting to NetBSD or updating for BSDi would be a problem.

> In conclusion, anyway, the ball is in OUR camp and unless we realize
> that, we're gonna be late for the IPv6 boat.

Indeed.  AIX 4.3 is currently shipping with IPv6 code.  Solaris has code
available as well as Digital Unix.  Actually, from looking at all the IPv6
resources I'd say that most everybody has -something-.  (I particulary
liked Mentat's STREAMS implementation myself. *gah* )

/*
   Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
   winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
   http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
*/