Date:      Mon, 04 Nov 1996 15:29:25 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        dg@root.com, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, smp@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed0 timeouts

Bruce,

>My version of -current does lazy 8259-masking so that the 8259 doesn't
>have to be masked unless the device interrupt repeats.

I added these changes to the SMP kernel (#define APIC_LAZY in smptests.h,
should be commited later today) and it seems to fix the problem!

However system IO seemed to get hosed when I entered ddb to check
the values of a few checkpoints I keep for debug.
I went in/out of ddb several times (I think) but then going out the system
"semi-hung":  I could not get back to my virtual term, nor could I loggin
anywhere else.  I could ping the system so at least part of it lived...

Have you ever seen similar problems with this code on your system?

--
>  It would probably
>work to never mask it for edge triggered interrupts, but I'm worried
>about noise, and level sensitive interrupts need to be handled somehow.

I suspect I have only "greatly diminished" the occurrancees of INT loss,
NOT completely eliminated them, since you mask on the 2nd hit.
I would think a "properly" designed card would not be prone to noise.
I could make 2 versions of the INTR macro (edge & level), and plug the
appropriate one in as necessary in the XintXXX table.

Opinions, anyone?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD