Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 18:33:45 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: > 80x24 ?

Eat good food, preserve nature, be nice to all nice people :)

On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Darren Reed wrote:

> In some mail from sos@FreeBSD.ORG, sie said:
> >
> > Level of understanding the problem at hand ...
>
> Yes, I don't understand pc's very well...(do I want to ? %-/)
>
> > Go read a bunch of "booklets" for different video cards, then read a
> > couble of books on PC video hw, and then come back with a better
> > understanding of the problem(s).
> > Then tell me again how easy it will be to make this work on ALL
> > video hw....
> >
> > PS: If you don't have any PC hw books handy, look at the XFree86
> >     sources for the video hw they support.
>
> How very sad.
>
> Is there such a thing as a "most common" method for changing the text
> resolution ?  What about for PnP devices ?  PCI video vards ?

Most common? I don't think such thing exists (and there aren't any PnP
video cards). The best thing there exists is the VESA BIOS extension. If
the BIOS follows the specs then you can do it quite easily (provided you
use the BIOS :)There are no other reliable ways.

> I know PC suck, but this reaches new heights.
>
> darren

	Sander.