Date:      Mon, 01 Jun 1998 21:57:29 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MD5 v. DES?

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.980601154152.4784E-100000@fledge.watson.org>, Robert
Watson writes:

>> I have been considering if we shouldn't introduce a
>>
>> 	int checkuserpassword(char *user, char *password);
>>
>> in some library, rather than having all these programs know that
>> you should strcmp after calling crypt().  This would allow us to
>> do what you propose or RADIUS authentication for that matter...
>
>I personally dislike this idea -- where does this leave one-time-password
>users, etc?

Perfectly safe as always.  All it does is to make sure that you don't have
to modify, ftpd, telnetd, login, popper, and uhm... what is the last one,
I keep forgetting, Hmm.....

Basically what I'm saying is that if all the places which have to
authenticate a user, had a call where they could say:

Then you can implement this function whichever way you want, rather than
have to modify twenty-odd programs which all do the

	wp = getpwbyname(...);
	getpassword(buffer);
	if (strcmp(pw->pw_passwd, crypt(pw->pw_password, buffer))) {
		sorry...
	}

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal