Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:43:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcic.ko & recent changes to sys/pccard/*

On 18-Oct-99 David O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 12:25:48PM -0400, Will Andrews wrote:
>> If you don't believe me when I say that pcic _was_ working for the Sept. 29
>> sources:
>
> The pcic modules is *KNOWN* to have and cause problems.  Warner told you
> this and you still insist on pushing the issue.  Why?  NO FreeBSD
> developer uses the pcic *module*, thus it is quite unwise for you to be
> using it as we no longer test it or keep it in sync with the rest of the
> kernel.

No, no... see below.

>> >: What's going on here? Is the Makefile in src/sys/modules/pcic
>> >: borked somehow (Makefile v1.9, 1999/08/28)? Doesn't seem
>> >: likely, as the last time it was changed was for the $Id$ ->
>
> The building of modules/pcic was removed from /sys/modules/Makefile.
> Check the history on that file.
>
>> > The pcic module is borked and hasn't worked for a long time.
>>
>> Actually, it worked for me in my last world - September 29, 1999 @ 10AM EDT.
>
> STOP USING IT!!!  I disabled it in -STABLE and -CURRENT quite some time
> ago.  How is it you are even compiling and installing it?
>
> Please statically compile it into your kernel so developer's time isn't
> wasted on this.  We have known problems for PCIMCA modems and that is
> where the pccard developer's time needs to be spent.

I apologize for causing undue freaking-out... I am confused. :)

First things first. After this message, I'm going to read the -current archives
regarding pccard.

Second, it should be noted that I don't see how I could ever have used the pcic
module.. if you disabled it before September 29, then it must have been kernel
support. My old logs show no indication that any module was loaded before, so
if the 9/29 kernel worked, why doesn't the current kernel work with my pccard?

I made the appropriate changes that Warner mentioned in the cvs logs for
src/sys/pccard/pccard.c, v1.89, as I said before.

Third, part of my confusion is due to /etc/rc.pccard, which seems to attempt to
load the module. Since I received no errors before (in the 9/29 world/kernel)
about kldload failing, it seems like there WAS indeed a pcic.ko module (because
now, since there is no module, kldload gives an error on booting up: "can't
find module pcic".)

I would never use any deprecated software.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>