Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 17:44:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      Benjamin Gras <ben@nl.euro.net>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Passwords..

Hi there,

> Is it possible to convert DES-encrypted passwords to MD5-encrypted
> passwords? (linux to FreeBSD)

Don't count on it. Those functions (hashing functions) are designed
with the primary goal in mind being irreversibility, so a conversion
(short of brute force reversing) would depend on an obscure relation
between the two functions, allowing a conversion without reversing.
The establishment of the unlikelyhood of this Feature is left as an
exercise to the (really patient) reader :).

> How can linux use DES passwords outside the states? (Is linux breaking the
> law?)

Last I heard the DES-based password crypt(3) function is exportable because
DES isn't used as a cipher but as a hashing function. There's an important
difference, which you're encountering right now..

As for a practical solution (I'd say):
Why not make FreeBSD use the DES-based passwords, and patch login(1) to
hash (using MD5-style) the password when you've verified the plaintext
entered password is correct (by hashing it DES-style as login(1) will do),
writing it back into the (master.) passwd file? This way you can do the
conversion, in a way..

	=Ben