Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 15:17:02 -0700
From:      Jack Verdirame <jackv@netravision.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   symbolic links and /var

Hello,

I am relatively new the FreeBSD and I am enjoyiing the experience sof far.  I
ran into a problem with the root volume /- volume is full message.  I found out
I was suppose to move the /tmp and /var to the /usr volume and create a
symbolic link between them.  This worked for the tmp directory.  What I was
doing for the /var directory is the following:

mkdir /usr/var
cd /var
tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf - )
cd /
rm -rf /var
ln -s /usr/var

I go this from the freeBSD book written by Greg Lehey - Excellent Book.

Anyway when I do the rm -rf /var it returns a device busy and will not remove
the directory.  I have gone into single user mode and tried this but the rm
command returns the same result.  I am logged in as root, also.

I did notice there is a var -> /usr/var symbolic link in the var directory.  I
have tried to remove this but I must be doing something wrong because it won't
remove.

I do a ln -f /usr/var /var but is say it is not a directory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Jack