Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 02:36:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Cc:        arr@watson.org, sam@freebsd.org
Subject:   accounting fix (or something)

hi,

I have a patch which, I believe, should help eliminate some (note there
are more) issues in the acounting code in terms of the usage of the
subsystem lock.

The patch can be found at:
	http://www.watson.org/~arr/kern_acct.somempfix.diff

It basically removes holding the acct_mtx over a vnode operation and
unlocks the acct_mtx in acct_process() alittle earlier than it was.

I welcome comments as Im sure people here can point stuff out :)

However, in looking at acctwatch() which is the routine that is called via
a timer (callout_ api), to do a similar "hack" that was done in the above
listed patch (ie, fix holding acct_mtx over some vnode operations), would
cause like 4 or something bus locks ... which sucks IMO since this routine
would be being called on a "regular" basis (when accounting is on).

I'm starting to think this area of code needs to be reworked to be done
cleanly.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?  I have some ideas kicking
around but should actually take the time to put them into an email.

Anyway, as I said above, comments are appreciated (annoying ones from
certain people will be read but most likely not responded to).

Cheers,
Andrew

--
Andrew R. Reiter