Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 18:36:55 +0100
From:      se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser), current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI LKM support added to -current

On Jan 22, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith) wrote:
> Stefan Esser stands accused of saying:
> >
> > The file /etc/pcidevices will contain lines with the PCI vendor and device
> > ID, and an associated driver object file:
> >
> > 0x802910ec      if_ed
>
> Please don't do it like that; put a data structure in the LKM file that
> contains this data and then write a utility to take the list of PCI
> device ID's and return a list of LKMs required to cover them.  (You
> could add this to the utility that extracts the list of unhandled
> ID's from the kernel; just give it a path to where the LKMs live.)

Sorry, but I don't quite understand what you want (and I assume
the problem is on my side :)

I'll look into it another time:

> Please don't do it like that; put a data structure in the LKM file that
> contains this data and then write a utility to take the list of PCI

Do you suggest, that the name of the LKM be coded into the LKM
sources ??

> device ID's and return a list of LKMs required to cover them.  (You

I'd rather have the list in a simple text file, which is updated
whenever a driver is added (or a device with a new PCI ID is found
to be sufficiently compatible to be handled by an existing LKM).

> could add this to the utility that extracts the list of unhandled
> ID's from the kernel; just give it a path to where the LKMs live.)

Hmmm, but there is no list of unhandled IDs, currently ...

Well, I could return the name of a LKM to load, in case a driver
is not attached, but LKM support has been compiled in.
Is this what you want ???

The current concept requires a list of PCI IDs to be available
in /etc/pcidevices. As part of /etc/rc a list of PCI devices is
retrieved, and if no driver is attached, then /etc/pcidevices
might map the PCI ID to a LKM name, which will be loaded by
modload and attached as part of the LKM initialization. The
attach makes the PCI code rescan the bus, and now there should
be a driver for the device that was found un-attached before
(and possibly for multiple cards, which can be handled by the
same driver).

What's wrong with this ?

Regards, STefan