Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 22:44:22 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cron

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.980510120014.4464H-100000@gdi.uoregon.edu>, Doug Whit
e writes:
} On Sat, 9 May 1998, Shawn Ramsey wrote:
}
} > > > in order to fix this i just need to change the roots shell to sh???
} > >
} > > Yes. You should never change root's shell, no matter how tempting.
} >
} > What are the consquences of changed root's shell?? I've changed root shell,
} > and havent noticed any problems...
}
} 1)  Unintended changes to scripts run as root.

I've often seen/heard this claim, but frankly I don't buy it:

1) How many shell scripts exist on your system which don't begin with the
   magic #! on the first line?
2) Even without the magic, the default interpreter is sh; even if you are
   running csh as your login shell, executing a script from the command line
   will fire it off with /bin/sh if there is no magic number at the head.

} 2)  Shared-lib issues -- pick the wrong shell and you won't be able to
}     login as root if, say, /usr or /lib dies and takes libc with it.
}     /bin/sh is statically linked.

This is a more persuasive argument.

Let me quickly interject that I never change root's shell; I'm a firm believer
in the "do as little as root as you can" maxim, and for as often as I need
to be root to do anything "major", I don't find it too difficult to type
a few characters to start up the shell of my choice.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com