Date:      Wed, 08 May 2002 23:14:07 -0700
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@acm.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: another fortune candidate..

With this sudden spurt of fortune submissions, I figure I might as well
toss out a quote I recently came across and rather like.  It seems quite
relevent to a number of recent legal developments...

   There has grown up in the minds of certain groups in this country the
   notion that because a man or a corporation has made a profit out of the
   public for a number of years, the government and the courts are charged
   with the duty of guaranteeing such profit in the future, even in the
face   of changing circumstances and contrary public interest. This
strange   doctrine is not supported by statute nor common law. Neither
individuals   nor corporations have any right to come into court and ask
that the clock   of history be stopped, or turned back, for their private
benefit.      -- Robert A. Heinlein, "Life-Line", 1939