Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:19:50 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        nsayer@kfu.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pac$Bell Internet DSL howto

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Nick Sayer wrote:

> > > This page is mostly good, except for a couple of things:
> > >
> > > 1. As of 4.0-RELEASE, at least, NETGRAPH_.* options are no longer
> > > necessary, as netgraph can load its own modules.
> > >
> > > 2. Either "ddial" or "auto" is a better ppp_mode than "background".
> > > Same with the manual command line.
> >
> >         Hmmm, interesting...  I've been thinking about what jmb mentioned
> > the other day.  Suppose you had PPPoE on a FreeBSD system and wanted to do
> > NAT, can you get by with one NIC since with normal ethernet and Static
> > IP's, you can just make the internal LAN IP as a alias of the interface
> > and have the primary set to some bogus value and then PPPoE can change it?
>
> If you want nat, then just add -nat to the ppp command line. The ethernet NIC
> used for PPPoE never gets an IP address. It must be ifconfig'd "up" only.
> ppp creates a tunnel device as your main interface with the outside world.
> Your machine is essentially in a dialup configuration, but with an Ethernet
> interface that has an alien protocol going in and out of it via netgraph.

	That's what I thought since with Windows, normally two NIC's are
required for NAT but with PPPoE, only one is needed.  And since FreeBSD
can have multiple IP's on one interface, it seems that one can just make
the IP on the NIC fxp0 be like 192.168.0.1 or something and then have
ppp handle the pppoe but I always thought that the machine would still
have a dynamically assigned address after the login?  Another thing is
that it seems with ADSL, atleast in Windows, when you upload, you can only
get about 300kbps because the outgoing pipe can't send the acknowledgement
packets back.  Is there anyway to overcome this or does FreeBSD know how
to prioritize the ack packets before the other things going out the pipe?
This one is a stupid question but since I have the Westell WireSpeed modem
with PacBell ADSL, is there a way to monitor the average/current speed of
the connection?

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin