Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:00:50 +0100
From:      Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VInum creation problem

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 08:49:43AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

I seem to have worked around this now, but will try to provide what information
I can.

> The best I can think of here would be a parse error, but I've seen
> other people go up to 32 drives (after which there *is* a problem).
> I've had up to about 12  devices on my test box, but they weren't all
> SCSI.  A couple of questions:
>
> 1.  Does the command-line error always start with da10?

No specific drives gave problems,  da1 da2 da3 da4 da6 and da10.

The drives had been through some testing here and a little investigating
has turned up the following:

da5-16 had previously been in a vinum volume, then da1-12
da1-4 had been in a windows box
da0 the  system disk has been in the machine for some time.

da1-4 had been partitioned and labeled by dd'ing da10 (originally da6) onto
da1-4.

Only then had a vinum resetconfig been done.

The only disks to give errors were the one copied from, the ones copied to and
the one that had the same designation (da6) as the copied one had originally.

repartioning and labeling all disks and partitions concerned resolved the
problem.

> 2.  Can you get a dump?

We were adding disk to a production machine could and should have got core
at the time it was broken  but didn't, sorry:-(

> Take a look at http://www.vinumvm.org/how-to-debug.html and send me in
> the info I need, and I'll look at it right away.

Bookmarked for future reference.